Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Homebrew GPS Kit!

I found this DIY GPS kit from Adafruit Industries. The kit comes with a PCB and all of the components you need to build a GPS shield (minus the antenna module) that fits the Arduino. I have had a Diecimila for some time now and never had a solid project in mind to begin to learn how to use this thing. The GPS antenna modules caught my eye and a flood of ideas for geolocative projects started trickling in. I purchased a The EM-406A GPS module from SparkFun Electronics and placed it onto the board. The instructions posted on Adafruits website were very clear and easy to follow. After some soldering and fumbling with my sausage fingers, I made myself a little GPS tracking unit.

The completed GPS Log Shield Kit.

The Arduino Diecimila with an ATMEGA168 Processor.

The combined GPS shield and Arduino.

I found this air tight and waterproof container at Storables for under $3.


The next step is to add my little solar cell to add a small but continuous charge to a rechargeable battery.


This is the first attempt to gather tracking data. The purple line represents the path I took from North to South Seattle. The dots represent a 5 second interval of data capture. More on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment